[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Jan 26 15:26:17 CET 2022

So does the 3.5mm TRS MIDI not-Standard connect the ground of the TRS lead at both ends, or only one like DIN MIDI? And does it use opto-isolation in the same way?

If so, it's basically just a change of connector for something of a smaller size and I don't see any problem with it. If the good features of the original standard also got dropped in the change, that seems like a somewhat retrogressive step.

While I can see that if everyone was using 3.5mm perhaps it made sense for the standard to reflect that, 3.5mm is alos used for audio input/output on a gazillion devices and people are absolutely bound to try connecting it, just to see if it works. 2.5mm is less common and prevents that to some extent.

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY