[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

Quincas Moreira quincas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:11:44 CET 2022

Matias, the Tukra by Tesseract does the same. Works with both standards for
the input and has selectable output.
I appreciate the nostalgic love for Din connectors but they seriously limit
the size and shape of the devices. I like how things are skinny these days…
And yes, while the standard chose a smaller barrel, this was indeed done
too late when already all manufacturers are using 3.5mm. They should have
stuck to that and just chosen one polarity to be the standard  IMO.
BTW I’ve been using 3.5mm trs MIDI for nearly a decade myself and have
never encountered a ground loop issue.

On Wed 26 Jan 2022 at 4:57 Mattias Rickardsson <mr at analogue.org> wrote:

> <grant at musictechnologiesgroup.com> skrev:
>
>> Hey, it only took them a decade or so to include a messed up standard for
>> 1/8" TRS connectors.
>>

> But the MIDI standard for TRS jacks ended up using 2.5 mm jacks, not 3.5
> mm (1/8"). Just to avoid confusion. (-:
>
> 3.5 mm was already the de-facto standard by then. But half of the
> manufacturers ended up using one polarity and the other half chose the
> other, which potentially makes MIDI devices incompatible, unless special
> cables/adapters are at hand.
>
> In Elektron's Model series of instruments we implemented the TRS MIDI In
> to accept any polarity (passively, using diodes!), and a setting in the UI
> chooses between the two polarities for the TRS MIDI Out. Has this been done
> anywhere else? I've always felt that it perhaps should be published as an
> official application note, a suggested implementation superpower for other
> manufacturers to pick up. :-)
>
> /mr

[image: QMA]

Quincas Moreira