[sdiy] 1-quadrant multiplier with 2164

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jan 26 14:38:59 CET 2022

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 11:54:21AM +0100, Ingo Debus via Synth-diy wrote:

> > Am 21.01.2022 um 19:22 schrieb Mike Beauchamp <list at mikebeauchamp.com>:
> >
> > KiCad takes about 3-6 hours to learn while doing your first project
>
> I don’t know KiCad, but this seems a bit optimistic to me. With all the PCB design packages I’ve used so far, it took me longer to „learn“ them. Or is there something in KiCad that Altium Designer, Eagle and others don’t have?
>
> Or are you a software guy? I know software guys often tend to underestimate the time required to do something 😉.

I'm very much a hardware guy (although these days I mostly do software).

What I tend to recommend folk do is get the most recent Kicad and then use it to make a "cover version" of an existing design - draw in the circuit diagram, lay it out like the original, then lay out the PCB to match.

That way you're only climbing the "how do I drive the application" learning curve, instead of that *and* "how do I lay out this diagram and PCB" learning curve too.

Of course if you're already experienced in laying out circuits and PCBs, you can just redraw one of your own.

--
Gordonjcp