[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Mon Jan 24 15:51:38 CET 2022

Because most DJs don’t “play songs” anymore.  It’s become an extremely creative medium where they will mix from many sources, use lots of looping and often add their own keyboard or synth riffs over the top.  And if they have the voice, maybe some rap as well.

But to do that you have to plan an awful lot of it in advance, effectively making you a bit of a sequencer.  Have a look at videos filmed behind Swedish House Mafia, Donato Dozzy or any of the other top DJs and you’ll see what I mean, especially when it’s a team thing like SHM.

One advantage of MIDI 2.0 will be being able to synchronise samples in time more accurately, but they can also move samples around quickly and lots of other stuff.  I’m sure we’ll see lots of creative ideas nobody has thought about yet once it’s out in the wild.