[sdiy] Deep thoughts on Old drum machines: the "VCA"

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Sun Jan 23 21:09:41 CET 2022

If you talk about Korg 700, the octave selector is not tuning the VCO to
different octave, but uses waveshaping (basically adding divided square
to the saw) to create sawtooth exactly one octave lower. This is not
perfect, so you can see the glitches in the middle of the ramp. And 3
glitches in lower octave and so on.
This way they had no problem keeping octave switch always in tune and
VCO didn't have to track in wide range.

Roman