[sdiy] Deep thoughts on Old drum machines: the "VCA"

Benjamin Tremblay btremblay at me.com
Sat Jan 22 19:29:01 CET 2022

I just remember some summer in the early 1980s building a number of PAiA circuits, hoping it would open the doors to being able to make some good sounds.
I built the surf synthesizer and it was really wonderful. I ran it for days in the garage.
I tried the wind chimes synthesizer, and it sounded like someone shaking a giant glass jug fill of bamboo sticks.
Then I tried some of the modular circuits.
The 1-transistor bandpass filter, which was pretty much the same circuit used in the surf and chime circuits.
When I finally got to the “lowpass filter” circuit from the 2700 series, it was a dud. It was a filter in name only.

The next summer, I hit the university library and found the Moog 904 patent diagram. After building that, I was no afraid to build the Moog VCA.
But making a stable, reliable VCO was for the big guys. To this day I have never made a decent VCO, but the older I get the more pointless it seems.