[sdiy] 1-quadrant multiplier with 2164

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Sat Jan 22 04:13:46 CET 2022

On 1/21/22 9:44 PM, David G Dixon wrote:
> This all assumes that I am dissatisfied with my current plan.  I like making
> my own boards, and having the layout in Kicad isn't going to make the
> transferring any better.  Plus, I hate soldering professionally made boards
> with solder mask etc.
>
> As far as "never having to drill fibreglass or cut jumpers ever again,"
> well, it's all just a part of DIY.  I like DIY, all of it, even the crappy
> bits.

Totally fair DGD, it reminds me of when I built a darkroom a few years
ago to process, develop and print film photographs.. And of course that
wasn't hard enough, so I had to shoot with a meterless medium format TLR
camera.

I think the comments are just trying to be helpful after seeing your
time break-down, maybe saving you from steps that that we
self-identified as not fun. But that's just me projecting my distaste
for drilling fibreglass and hand-assembly.

I've soldered and assembled over 100 synths completely by hand, each
with about 400 passives.. so I get the passion for DIY. I'm also just
saying that I'm grateful for the time I can spend doing other things
while robots ensure that every resistor is soldered in it's proper place :)

At the end of the day, you're making some cool shit.. and your customers
have something to be really proud of, knowing the work that went into
everything.

Mike