[sdiy] 1-quadrant multiplier with 2164

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Fri Jan 21 19:22:05 CET 2022

On 1/20/22 11:34 PM, David G Dixon via Synth-diy wrote:
> First of all, printing, transferring and etching PCBs is a royal pain in the
> ass.  The worst part is that nobody makes a laserjet printer as good as the
> old beige cube HP2100.  The new ones just aren't as good, so the transfers

> Remember, you asked.

Just tossing this out there DGD,

KiCad takes about 3-6 hours to learn while doing your first project.
There's tutorials that will go through creating schematics, custom
symbols, board layout, routing and even custom footprints - everything
needed to start.

Judging by the amount of components you mention here, it's of medium
complexity. Board layout and routing could be a bit more involved, lets
say 10-15 hours if it's your first time routing things. But you already
have a layout that works for you to copy..

I know I'm not the first smart-arse that has tried to convince you that
Excel isn't the best tool to use for PCB layout, but after reading your
breakdown of time here... I'd learn the program just so I never have to
drill fiberglass (tell me you have adequate dust collection in place?
and cut jumpers again.

There are places that will place SMT components for cheap/free on the
board and you could just leave the hand-soldering for your hand-matched
and binned components. Grand total time could be under 2h - 3h savings
per board, not to mention the fact that your troubleshooting will be
greatly reduced. Learning Kicad pays for itself in as little as 3-4 units.

If you're still super interested in never learning it, you likely have
some customers that are fluent in KiCad and would draw you up a board in
exchange for a few free units.

Mike