[sdiy] 1-quadrant multiplier with 2164

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:23:27 CET 2022

Hi Rutger,

David's solution is a good approach, simple.

The idea of quadrants is a 2-dimensional XY graph (there can be more
dimensions, but let's stick to 2D for now).

If you draw a big "+" on a sheet of paper, with the middle crossing as "0",
then -x to +x on the horizontal, and -y to +y on the vertical, you now have
the four quarters, or quadrants.

- if both inputs are unipolar then the output will be unipolar and the
transfer function is a line in one quadrant.  1-quadrant.
- if one input is bipolar, e.g., typical audio signal with no DC, then the
output function sits in two quadrants.  2-quadrant.
- if both inputs are bipolar, then the output will occupy all four
quadrants.  4-quadrant.

And yes, the input of the 2164 is a virtual ground summing node, as long as
you don't overdrive it (limit is around +/- 1mA peak for the SSI2164, less
for the original SSM and CoolAudio's V versions).

Neil