[sdiy] 1-quadrant multiplier with 2164

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Tue Jan 18 02:48:24 CET 2022

Hi Rutger,

It is really easy to do what you want to do.

If I understand you correctly, for an input signal of 10Vpp centred on 0V,
you basically want the output signal to grow from a baseline of -5V, so that
when the VCA is off, the output is -5V DC, at 50% gain, the output is 5Vpp
from -5V to 0V, and at 100% the output is 10Vpp from -5V to +5V.

Let's assume that you have built the standard linearized VCA circuit and
that you have good 5V and -5V reference voltages available.  Presuming that
your input resistor into the amplifying 2164 VCA is 30k, and the feedback
resistor on the I-V converting opamp is also 30k, then all you have to do is
this:  Sum -5V into the 2164 VCA, in parallel with the input signal, through
a 30k resistor, and sum +5V into the I-V converter also through a 30k
resistor.  The +5V into the I-V converter will apply a constant bias of -5V
to the output signal.  The -5V into the VCA will counteract this bias in
proportion to the VCA's gain, such that, then the VCA is off, the bias is
-5V, and when the VCA is at unity gain, the bias is 0V.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  Schematic attached.

Cheers,
Dave Dixon

  _____