[sdiy] Time-varying all-pass filters

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 21:52:13 CET 2022

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful thoughts and suggestions. I wanted to share that I
made some progress in understanding the circuit (an audio rate modulated,
tracking all pass filter). Thanks to Ulfur I started thinking about how the
APF approach relates to (sinusoidal) wavefolding done in the SineCore, and
realized that the APF has no mechanism to deal with wrapping around of the
phase (jumping to 0 after exceeding 360 degrees). While in the static,
unmodulated case, the APF can achieve a 0 to 180 degrees shift without the
need for wrapping, in the dynamic case the combination of a rapid change in
modulation signal and a certain integrator state, could call for wrapping
around, which... is not happening. Instead the signal is moving outside of
the typical 10Vpp range. While in the example graph I sent it looks like a
DC shift or LF component, this is not always the case. So DC blocking, or
adding of modulation signal to the output is not really helping. Compared
with normal PM of the same depth the APF approach preserves much more low
end in the signal, while introducing a rather similar set of harmonics. So
I will stick with it and try to work around the headroom issue.

Rutger