[sdiy] OT: Mains Safety PSA

Michael E Caloroso mec.forumreader at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 06:55:31 CET 2022

Years ago my cousin bought an old fixer-upper mansion that had belonged to
a lawyer who had passed away.

The place was built in the 1920s.  When my cousin showed us the original
fuse panel downstairs, I was shocked to see that they fused not just the
hot but they also FUSED THE NEUTRAL.

That was a fatal shock hazard waiting to happen.  Granted this was before
the separate neutral/ground system for residential wiring was developed,
but fusing the NEUTRAL?!?

This was probably built by an incompetent electrician, and probably before
the city had any enforcement agency such as city inspectors.

Yes my cousin disposed of that fusing system.

MC

MC