[sdiy] OT: Mains Safety PSA

Chromatest J. Pantsmaker chromatest at azburners.org
Fri Jan 14 17:13:20 CET 2022

I'm in the US, and I've done extensive house wiring here, but I know
nothing about what is acceptable or even legal in other countries.

In the US, we run 120V for regular wall outlets.  The regular receptacles
are rated at 15A.  The wiring needs to be rated for at least 15A, and the
fuse/breaker can be rated no higher than the rating of the smallest wiring
conductor between the breaker and outlets.  This is typically 14 gauge
(with a 15A breaker) or 12 Gauge (with a 20A) breaker.  That breaker
typically supplies *multiple* 15A receptacles, with the idea that they
aren't going to all draw their rated maximum at the same time (if ever).
And if they do, the breaker trips or the fuse blows to protect the wiring.

So my question is, do other countries allow wiring with oversized
breakers?  Why didn't Cheater's fuse/breaker save the day?  I would expect
breakers in 240V countries to be even smaller thanks to Mr. Ohm.