[sdiy] OT: Mains Safety PSA

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 12:33:06 CET 2022

So as recent experience shows, 18 - 26 amps max continuous load for
months was a tad optimistic for this unknown brand Schuko wall socket,
which subsequently proceeded to smolder, melt, and deform, almost
causing a fire. I guess you don't think about wall socket power
ratings when your central heating goes out. I've smelled the telltale
smell of something smoldering for a few days, but I couldn't quite
localize it. I checked the cable, and it was warm, but there are a few
warm cables in my house and they're fine, so I assumed this was fine.
I had to dig down to the actual plug and socket (conveniently located
under a few cardboard boxes by the way) in order to find the
following.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FhQWHh3

One thing that'll "get you" is that this has been running like that
for months now, and only this week has it started making funny smells.
It's good to know about things that'll "get you" like that.
Expectation would be that if it works at first, it'll just keep
working, because how can a plug in a socket go from perfectly fine to
bad enough after months of being used in equal manner? Turns out this
expectation was not correct.

I had to use (VDE) pliers to get the contacts out, and they made a
nice crunchy sound on their way out. Of course I shut off the breaker
first. The contacts are nice and oxidized from the heat, all the way
to blue and brown.

BTW, Schuko are rated to 16A only. Go figure.