[sdiy] Low voltage synthesis?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 07:34:19 CET 2022

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 4:36 AM Mike Bryant <mbryant at futurehorizons.com> wrote:

> Using currents rather than voltages is how it's done inside linear ICs.  I think it's explained in Art of Electronics.

What are "linear ICs"? Do you mean ICs made by Linear Tech (now owned by AD)?

> By "linearly rather than exponentially" I mean that most synths use an exponential convertor to convert from a voltage input to a current output, which then drives the Moog ladder, or some forms of VCO, etc.  The Blackmer cell also uses currents internally.

Gotcha, thanks.

> > Wouldn't audio / synth circuits create much less power dissipation if they used power (impedance-matched) signalling rather than voltage signalling (low into high impedance)? I haven't worked much with impedance matched audio, but I believe it should lower power losses in circuits, right? Could that be one way to do "colder" synths? In which case you could keep the "high" rail voltages and keep the benefit of outpacing resistor noise.
>
> the industry moved away from that approach some years ago with low output impedance, medium-high input impedance becoming the norm, though every manufacturer has a different in and out impedance.  Music Tribe even have differing impedances across their brands.

I'm not talking about interconnects - I'm talking about how signalling
works internally to the circuit. That can be voltage, current, or
power based as well, and the question is what will dissipate the least
power while remaining good for synthesizer circuits.