[sdiy] Looking for a specific sample-player/expander IC/module

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Jan 10 23:19:14 CET 2022

Sure, FPGA can be used to recreate all manner of CPU and sample player designs. However, the FPGA will not be as energy efficient as an ASIC. This might not be an issue unless you want to run on batteries. FPGA has an advantage for prototyping, or for designs that absolutely must be changed in the field, but for something as well-understood and popular as sample playback, ASIC designs are superior. In other words, there's nothing inferior about an "old" ASIC design, nor is there anything superior about FPGA emulations of the same.

Brian