[sdiy] UK VAT (was Re: Breaking news: synthCube to acquire Small Bear)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Jan 10 21:14:57 CET 2022

That hasn't been my experience. I've been sending stuff to the UK for a year since Brexit, and so far, no-one has reported either being hit by VAT charges or things disappearing. It looks to me like UK customs are waving stuff through to prevent accusations of problems at the border due to Brexit. There's a government in charge who really wants this to work, and wants it to be seen to be working.

Ultimately, I'm sure Electric Druid will have to register for UK VAT and do the required hoop-jumping to send parcels to the UK, but I'm holding out as long as I can, since it's a pain in the ass and another overhead I can well do without. Other International orders simply charge VAT at the frontier if required - the UK can do the same. My opinion is that the reluctance to do this stems from the fact that it makes it obvious that this is a cost applied by the UK government and therefore not something they can blame on Europe.