[sdiy] Looking for a specific sample-player/expander IC/module

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Mon Jan 10 11:10:08 CET 2022

As someone who actually held that mysterious DREAM chips in hands, let
me tell you a little story.
Back in the 90's together with a friend we were trying to make virtual
pipe organ using those DREAM rompler chips. They had all it takes, easy
to use, everything was just swell. But DREAM team is at the top skill
level of customer avoidance. My friend had to buy development platform
for some $3K, which was enormous amount of money for us here back then.
He also managed to buy something like smaller starter kit, I can't
remember the details anymore. Then they started to talk to him. He got
datasheets, programing manuals, and the chips themselves, just a few
samples, but it was huge victory. He got to the point when he was making
his own baords with DREAM chip soldered.
And then he died.

I still have most of his stuff, but the development platform stayed with
his family (PC with Dream software and huge card with Dream chips)

I also tried to get other Dream chips, there used to be General MIDI
chip available for some time, basicaly entire SoundCanvas synth in a
chip. Just add DAC and MIDI jack. I got one as a sample. When I tried to
buy them, local authorized distributor told me Atmel will not even talk
to them about this.

Roman