[sdiy] Looking for a specific sample-player/expander IC/module

Steve Lenham steve at bendentech.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 13:33:43 CET 2022

You can theoretically buy the Dream ICs and associated development
boards from distributor Profusion in the UK:

https://www.profusionplc.com/type/dsp-audio?mnf=dream

However, none of them can be ordered online (unlike the rest of
Profusion's offerings) and instead one is invited to contact them
directly. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this says to me that there are hidden
criteria that must be met before one will be allowed to buy Dream products.

This plus the fact that, despite being around in some form since at
least 1990 (the Evolution EVS1, released that year, was based around a
SAMxxxx IC, and the SAM8905 appears in Barry Klein's Music IC Datasheet
book), they have a profile lower than a snake's belly, indicates that
they know very well who they want to deal with, that they are already
dealing with them and that everyone else can take a hike.

Of course, if your products are good enough then you earn the right to
do what you please...

Cheers,

Steve L.