[sdiy] Time-varying all-pass filters

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 12:37:20 CET 2022

Thanks for the suggestion Ulfur! Do I assume correctly that it comes down
to a mathematical equivalence of wave folding and phase modulation?

phrased clearly enough. It's not about making the frequency of an all-pass
filter change in time, which I know how to do. The problem is when you
change the frequency at audio rate. The figure from the paper I referred to
in my original post describes the problem well. It shows how a rapid
modulation of the APF frequency (top graph) leads to a low-frequency
component in the output (middle graph), which could be avoided (bottom
graph). The analog APF I am using acts identical to the middle graph,
leading to (unnecessary?) headroom issues, while true PM via the oscillator
directly would never cause this.

Despite headroom issues, the audio-rate modulated analog APF still sounds
cool, by the way!

https://d3i71xaburhd42.cloudfront.net/dd2e6eff1c49d49479c0943615ebc36a19f4fa0d/3-Figure2-1.png
[image: 3-Figure2-1.png]

Rutger