[sdiy] move over you 32 bit DACs ...

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Thu Feb 3 06:48:55 CET 2022

Speaking of jet engines, I went to an AES talk where someone explained that 24 bits is enough to span the dynamic range from  the softest sound that the human ear can pick up, all the way to the pressure wave (of 2 atmospheres?) a couple of miles from an atomic blast. That convinces me that I don't need to search for a 32-bit DAC, much less a 64-bit DAC.

Of course, I'm still using 64-bit processing for FFT in order to clearly see the noise floor in signals without the limits of the math getting in the way. Since the chip that started this thread is not a DAC, but a processor, the 64-bit spec seems appropriate.

Brian