[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri Apr 22 10:17:59 CEST 2022

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 07:55:50PM +0000, Mike Bryant wrote:

> I’m afraid I see this sort of comment all the time.  Since 2014, Apple, ARM, Google, IBM et al have poured a fortune into developing LLVM as development of gcc had gone down a bit of a dead end.   Comments like they are ‘quite close’ tend to come from people using the free version of Clang which is years out of date, rather than the paid for versions such as ARM Compiler or Xcode which are two generations newer with many improvements.  And as GNU simply copied some of the optimisations of the LLVM project into gcc without even referencing those copies, it is quite possible future improvements may never be introduced into the open source versions of LLVM, or at least kept back a few generations.

So LLVM is only better than gcc if you take the risk of using a proprietary version that could be dropped at any time, leaving you in the same situation as all the PIC developers?

Out of interest, how hard is it to switch from gcc to LLVM, for fairly standard C code with odd sprinklings of assembler?  How much would I need to change?  If it's something fairly straightforward that a couple of #ifdefs can cope with it'd be nice to give folk the choice.

--
Gordonjcp