[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 01:22:13 CEST 2022

I did contract work for 30+ years working at 20 or so companies. So I
was in and out of a lot of places. Working at larger companies I'd log
into Linux servers with terminals on a Windows machine and use tools on
them. For mid to small size companies typically work would be done on my
Window desktop. In 50 years of using computers other than lab and test
computers I've never had a Linux box at my desk at work. Only once have
I worked on an Apple based project and we used MAC IIs. Did have
terminals going to mainframes running Unix and various other OS' early on.

As far a MicroChip abandoning the little people that got them started.
I've done dozens of PIC projects over the years. I probably haven't done
anything with PICs in 12 years and that was a home project. At one point
they were more or less the only thing out there to use for small uCs.
When ARM chips came out things changed and people have alternatives to
use. So I think it's more like the little guys abandoned them. Too bad
about the assembler.

Probably going to take shit on this one. One development environment I
haven't seemed mentioned is Eclipse. I've used scripts, GCC and make
tools on the command line, Keil, IAR and other vendor tool sets over the
years. In general if some form of Eclipse is available I'd use it. There
are three reasons for that which all relate to time and money. First off
it's free so saving the customer some money there. I've used it enough
so I know the tools saving time and money for the customer. Here's
probably where the shit is going to hitting the fan. Probably the most
important is it has the ability to generate setup and driver code.
People will complain that it's probably not the best code and is buggy.
Hey, I'll agree with that. But I don't have to spend weeks reading about
and learning the hardware. I can generate the startup code which is used
once and I've hardly ever had any problems with. Then generate the
drivers for the peripherals I'm using which will require debugging,
tuning and clean up. That will take me way less time than learning and
coding the code from scratch. So the bottom line is it's not perfect but
it can save lot's of time and money.

ARCHIVING WTF!

Unless you are running straight code with no form of system or hardware
dependencies you should be archiving all the tools and scripts you've
used on your project. When I was taught how to use archiving SW that was
stressed really hard. Might as well not bother to archive things if you
don't.

Good coding.
Jay S.