[sdiy] FW: Some Audio DSP prototypes

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Wed Apr 20 22:08:53 CEST 2022

? From: Synth-diy [mailto:synth-diy-bounces at synth-diy.org] On Behalf Of Gordonjcp

>> (And no this isn’t a good reason to move to Linux !  For a start half the tools we use aren’t even on that)

> I'll tell you what would be though, and it has saved a lot of bother with the whole sorry mess of safety-of-life-critical Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 7 machines that I have had to cope with on modern systems.
> Image the drive and run the whole sorry mess in qemu-kvm on some thumping great multi-core machine with a shitload of memory.  Spool up a VM when you need it and VNC in.

ProTools won't run like that.  Nor will the EMI simulation program we use, nor our PCB design package.   In fact I'd estimate almost half of the key Windows based programs we use would need tweaking to run like this.
Plus of course whilst the latest versions have improved MIDI access, it's still not perfect.  For example you can kill it by doing rapid USB plug and play using a standard USB MIDI keyboard switcher.  No version of Linux has ever solved that problem.

I agree qemu is great for some things, but it's not a universal panacea (at least not yet).