[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 10:50:22 CEST 2022

> This happens all over the place, not just Windows. Witness the fairly
> recent dropping of PIC ASM by Microchip.

WTF!  Is this some kind of joke!?

Can you elaborate or provide a reference for this Tom?

For nearly 30 years I've programmed PICs in assembly language for both
hobby projects and commercial work.  To be honest I don't see how you
could program most of the low-end parts in any other way.  In some cases
they only have a handful of bytes of RAM and less than 1K of program
space, so I can't see them being much use in any sort of higher level
language.  Are you saying they have discontinued Assembly language use
for all PICs?  Does this include dsPIC as well?  The latter would make
no sense either, as programming dsPIC in Assembly language is
fundamental to keeping the DSP pipeline primed with data and obtaining
optimal performance.  The C compiler didn't even support any of the DSP
core's functionality like extended precision accumulators, saturation
arithmetic, etc, last time I checked.

-Richie,