[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Tue Apr 19 18:40:56 CEST 2022

Sorry Gordon, but you are incorrect.  Most embedded development by SMEs up to large multinationals is performed on Windows machines, as these machines easily link in to corporate networks and hence are backed up and maintained by the IT department which is usually expert only on Windows.    Indeed some companies have policies in place strictly prohibiting the use of MacOS or Linux even to access email when working from home.

I agree you will find some organisations that are mostly Linux, and Raspberry Pi Limited is definitely one of them, but this really is only about 5% of all commercial embedded development at best.

As for the RP2040 toolchain working perfectly well, it does if you regard the use of a second-rate compiler, of CMake to control builds, and of customised versions of other tools as being 'perfectly well'.  For hobbyists it's fine, but for production software it's not even close to what is needed.