[sdiy] Ensoniq Keyboard Module Communication

mark verbos markverbos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:47:34 CEST 2021

I have spent some time staring at the design not so long ago while I was deep into a Buchla repair with a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard. Buchla touchplates would send a square pulse to the key and your touch act as a capacitor to ground, so when the level of the signal is measured slightly after it being sent to the key, more capacitance/longer slew = lower level. In the Buchla 400 I have here, Don integrated a physical, weighted piano keyboard and used a system remarkably similar to the Ensoniq system. That system is coils that the key mechanism moves closer to or farther from, sort of the opposite of the you become the capacitor concept. Anyway, the system scans all the keys and sends all the readings in series (it looks like a bar graph on a scope) to an A to D converter which is read as the pressure for each key. The gate on/off or note on/off if you like is generated from that pressure signal by setting thresholds for on and off. My pet project has been the opposite of yours i.e. grafting a touchplate keyboard onto an SQ-80.

Mark