[sdiy] Ensoniq Keyboard Module Communication

ackolonges fds ackolonges at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 03:15:56 CEST 2021

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the KPC boards that run the Polyphonic aftertouch keyboards that come in some of the Ensoniq units?

I have acquired two keybed modules (with KPC boards) that I believe came from parted out dead EPS 16+'s some years ago, and I would like to build my own synthesizer around one of them. In order to do this, I'll need to try and reverse engineer the communication lines (UART and/or SPI) from (and to?) the KPC board in order to attempt to acquire key-presses and polyphonic aftertouch info from it.

I suppose that I need to conduct an initialization or 'handshake' before the unit will start sending out events, but without an Ensoniq unit available to analyse I have no way of finding out what messages the KPC board needs to receive.

Is there anyone out there with one of those Ensoniq keyboards with Polyphonic Aftertouch who has the capability to run a sniff of the UART / SPI lines to the KPC board? Or any info or ideas relating to communications with these keybeds?

Thanks so much in advance for any help or ideas you may have.