[sdiy] Weird Yamaha CS40M problem

Steve Lenham steve at bendentech.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 17:01:15 CEST 2021

On 20/09/2021 13:05, Antti Pitkämäki via Synth-diy wrote:

> How critical is for the 4458 to be exactly the same (NJM4458DV)? I found
> a source for those for like 13 euros per part + postage, but my friend
> has generic 4485s that I could just fetch for free. The role for the
> 4458 is to buffer the input of the VCF.

I know the CS40m schematics specify NJM4558DV, and that photos of
NJM4558DVs exist, but I cannot find any datasheet that assigns any
meaning to the final "V".

If you just search for NJM4558D (and it is 4558, not 4458 or 4485!) then
you will find that they are still in production and cheaply available.
The D means it is in a DIL package as opposed to SIL or SOIC.

But I would go further and say that in that circuit you would be safe to
use literally any version of the 4558 that fits. It is only acting as a
unity-gain buffer. Grab a generic one from your friend.

Good luck!

Steve L.
Benden Sound Technology