[sdiy] Issue with CD4024 Ripple Counter

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Mon Sep 20 10:34:01 CEST 2021

The 100k resistor after the diode does not do much in here. The
comparator output load is determined in 80% by 10k to zener and then 10k
to inverter, so you may just remove it.
Next, since comparator output goes to about 10V, then the zener also
does not do anything much, because 2x10k divider gives about 5V at
zeners cathode. So if you replace the zener and 2x 10k with just one 2k
resistor the "clockout" will work the same.
But why 4024 responds to positive edge at all? My only idea at this
moment would be oscillations of opamp used as comparator caused by
parasitics transmitting output fast jump to inverting input, that was
already pointed by someone. Nothing obvious here.

Roman