[sdiy] Issue with CD4024 Ripple Counter

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sun Sep 19 21:18:47 CEST 2021

Well, the plot thickens...

I just went out and dug all the CD4024 out of the trash, cleaned them up and
tested them all in my spanking new prototype with all the bells and

Here's the result:

CD4024BCN works perfectly (2 chips tested)

CD4024BE does not work (3 chips tested) -- it seems to want to clock on both
edges, erratically.

I am now willing to concede that there is something in my circuit that is
preventing the CD4024BE from working -- I just have to hunt down what it is.
Why the BEs should behave so differently from the BCNs is beyond me -- I
guess I've got to do a deep dive into the datasheets.

Unfortunately, it is the BE chips that are the most widely available in
through-hole format ($0.31 at Tayda).  I also ordered 100 MC14024 on Ebay,
as they are now obsolete in through-hole, and therefore no longer available
via the normal channels.  Gawd I hate this part of electronics.

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list