[sdiy] Will clamping diode work when power is off?

ShedSynth shedsynth at gmail.com
Sun May 30 10:15:56 CEST 2021

Thank you to everybody for the replies.

I have previously experimented with a 5.1V Zener across Arduino inputs: GATE inputs triggered successfully but CVs appeared not to be read linearly by the analog inputs.
I'll experiment with clamping each input through diodes to a Zener to 0V, if I understood that suggestion correctly.

I'll experiment to measure current through a Zener across 0V and +5V when the module is powered normally.

I hadn't understood the reason for the diodes across voltage regulators.

The use-case is that I have two boxes which share the same 19V DC supply and are normally switched on and off together as a single unit.
I noticed the issue when I switched off the second box to fiddle with a module under test, while it was still connected to the CV from an LFO module in the first box.
To me this seems like a common risk when fiddling, less so when actually playing any music (and for me that ratio is about 90/10%).

I want to mitigate against likely mistakes in the expected range -12V to +12V.

So far I seem to have got away with it, although I'm now trying to remember when and how I broke the voltage regulator in the only Arduino that has failed on me so far - that still works on USB power, not on +12V.

Spotting the issue, and your replies, has helped me understand some fundamentals.
Thank you all again,
Al