[sdiy] PCB faceplate large hole creation?

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Fri May 28 11:10:26 CEST 2021

Hi Roman

JLCPCB introduced a laser PCB cutter in 2019 as discussed in their forum and on some blogs.  But they still use mechanical milling as well and indeed their capabilities page states that this is the only offering.  But it's been quite clear on quite a few of my recent designs that the cutouts have been lasered as there are no circular corners - just two straight edges meeting sharply.   But there is no way of specifying you must have laser cutting.  Vias are always drilled as far as I can work out.

Agree the JLCPCB Gerber viewer is rubbish.  I believe it was bought in and uses the IPC-7531 footprint standard, whereas EasyEDA and JLCPCB use their own standard which is why it shows everything in random rotations.  It's even worse if you put components on the back of the board.  But as you say they all come back perfect every time.

Mike