[sdiy] PCB faceplate large hole creation?

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri May 28 10:46:59 CEST 2021

For PCB profile routing (milling) is it normal to:

1. Draw the Gerber line where you want the PCB edge to end up?  (and they
make allowances for the cutting tool diameter.)

_or_

2. Draw the Gerber line where you want the centre line of the cutting tool
to follow, knowing in advance what the cutting tool diameter is, so that you
end up getting the right size cut-out?

I've encountered both approach, and on occasion been caught out!  Just
wondered if there was a consensus on the way it is normally handled?

I can see advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

-Richie,