[sdiy] DIP LM13700 discontinuation

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Mon May 24 14:56:45 CEST 2021

I don't use an oven, hot air, paste or stencils, and all my DIY is for my
own use. I don't do anything with crazy tiny packages or BGA/QFN

For passives/diodes/transistors I put a blob of solder on one pad, heat it,
place the part, hold it until the joint cools, then do a few more parts
(only the same part value to help avoid errors!) the same way, and circle
back and do the remaining pads

For SMD ICs I'll tack a pair of opposite corner pins in place and then do
the drag soldering thing with some no-clean flux

I'm curious about trying low-volume outsourced assembly though (eg. Seeed's
"Fusion" service) just for the experience of trying it. I enjoy the
schematic capture and board layout process in Eagle — especially since I
added automatic generation of front panel PCBs to my workflow! — but
frankly I don't enjoy the assembly process that much anymore

John