[sdiy] DIP LM13700 discontinuation

Benjamin Tremblay btremblay at me.com
Sat May 22 15:07:18 CEST 2021

I can accept that things are changing. But, the loss of through-hole larger components is a loss for me. I can adjust, but it is a loss.

I don’t have much money for electronics. My purchases come in drips. $15 or $8 here and there. I’m using a fat chisel tip on my soldering iron because I don’t have budget for a new set of tips. I’m low on solder.
I’m not going to have capital for tools and pcb fabrication. I never will. I use what I can get, and that’s how I will carry on. I do happen to have a cheap soldering microscope, but no nifty tools to make smt convenient. I was able to tack a ram chip onto my Teensy the stupid way and I know every time I do it that way I roll the dice to see how many times I have to do-over until all the pins are properly connected.
Electronics will never be about gear or toys or well-stocked shelves above my tidy workbench. It’s how I distract myself while doing the calculus of survival between paychecks.

Benjamin Tremblay