[sdiy] DIP LM13700 discontinuation

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri May 21 14:19:35 CEST 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 04:20:57PM +0200, chris wrote:
> Aah, I see.
>
> Thinking at that level also explains why tubes are better. Most probably
> electrons are afraid in the dark. And now adding their claustrophobic
> nature to that...

It's also why valve amps sound "warmer" than transistor amps and both sound far warmer than anything with digital audio.

The valves have a heated cathode at a couple of hundred degrees C, so the electrons are very warm indeed when they fly off and their landing heats up the anode - sometimes you can even see the anodes of output valves glowing red when the amp is at full berries.

Transistor amps don't run at as high a temperature so the electrons are colder, giving it a colder sound.  If you could safely run transistor amps at 200°C they'd be just as warm as valve amps - something I have achieved briefly with experimental MOSFET designs.

Digital audio sounds colder because not only do the parts run cooler but they actually use large fans to cool the semiconductors down further!  This can only make the electrons too cold to sound good, and the difference becomes quite audible.

--
Gordonjcp