[sdiy] DIP LM13700 discontinuation

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Thu May 20 19:25:48 CEST 2021

One thing being forgotten here is that SMT allows much easier repair
if parts are spaced the same as they would be on a through-hole board.
If you make a board with footprints for both TH and SMD, and populate
it with SMD, that's super spacy. The "difficulty" of repairing SMT
boards is that they are extremely miniaturized, which means they are
super packed. Obviously you'll have problems repairing those. But if
you're choosing TH only because it forces you to use a larger PCB, you
might as well use a PCB of that same size with SMD, and they'll
actually be easier to work on because of the additional space margins.

In addition to hot air, wick, and wire methods, I'd like to mention
the following.

First of all, when using wick, make sure you don't just unroll it. It
comes compressed. You have to spread it out so that all the tiny
strands are separate, rather than one solid bundle. So make sure to
press it together length-wise so it spreads apart radially.

There's also quartz pre heaters. Those are great. You can just use a
toaster oven with a PID.

There are those rubberized heating elements. You stick it on the
underside of the PCB, and it heats it. Similar to the things used for
heating the oil pan in a truck, but here they're much smaller.

Finally, there's desoldering foil. I've never seen it demonstrated. I
think it's spring steel foil, and what it does is it acts like a knife
that you slide under the pins to get parts off.

By far the most common thing I've seen is hot air. You point a hot air
gun on whatever you want to desolder, and slightly poke it with a
stick every now and then until it's ready to move. Then you just move
it off. Doesn't matter how much solder is present - it'll melt, and
then you move the part off to the side a little, and then you pick it
up and off, either with tweezers or with a vacuum grabber.

Good luck