[sdiy] touch-sensitive switches - how?

KA4HJH ka4hjh at gmail.com
Mon May 3 01:48:23 CEST 2021

> On Apr 27, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Benjamin Tremblay via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:
>
> Touch switches are easy to implement but can malfunction. I think Simonton used the same kind of CMOS touch switch you would see in a radio shack book. They usually rely upon AC hum to activate, so might not work well in a Faraday’s cage.
> I had the old Oberheim OB-1 with touch switches. It worked very well.
> These days you only see them in things like lamps.

How about a cold cathode thyratron (that just happens the be a lamp as well)?

http://www.industrialalchemy.org/articleview.php?item=1084 <http://www.industrialalchemy.org/articleview.php?item=1084>

The english translation of the datasheet describes it as "Intended for working with low signals and like a [sic] ionic relay.":

https://www.gstube.com/data/2119/ <https://www.gstube.com/data/2119/>

Of tangental interest, here's a mains powered clock that uses them in the ring counters:

https://www.pa3fwm.nl/projects/neonclock2/

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com/

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980