[sdiy] Will clamping diode work when power is off?

ShedSynth shedsynth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:51:40 CEST 2021

I hope you won't mind me exhuming my old question again.

My friend Tim suggested using a BC557 to actively clamp the input to the supply rail:

https://shedsynth.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/adsr-a-schematic-gate-to-d2-2-2.png

If the voltage on the emitter goes above the voltage on the base (+5V when the module is powered, 0V when not powered) the transistor will conduct to ground, clamping the input.

I believe it will clamp to Vbe (about 0.7V) above the base voltage, so I planned to use a preset resistor P1 to set the clamp within the safety limit of the Arduino inputs (VDD + 0.5V).

I’d be interested in comments, particularly about behaviour when the circuit isn’t powered – the original question.

Thanks,

Al