[sdiy] How to use an analog time-domain multiplexer?

dh at atoav.com dh at atoav.com
Sat Jun 5 03:19:53 CEST 2021

On 05/06/2021 01:41, cheater cheater wrote:
> 1. RJ-45 plugs break very easily when being patched and unpatched

That's news to me. How many cycles do you expect? These connectors are
rated.

> 3. it's hard to patch and unpatch an RJ-45 cable with one hand and it
> requires considerable free space around the connector to do that,
> which takes up panel space

Depends if the cables have their latch on them or not. If not, they are
are quite easy to patch (rotation needs to be right of course). But how
you value this discomfort in your plan depends on how many parallel
connections you think will happen. 1? 5? 10? If it is below 5 you should
ask yourself: is comfort _really_ that much more important than audio
quality or price?

> 4. no panel mount jacks

Neutrik has panel mount jacks and there are probably others. This is a
non-issue. You know that thing right? <http://www.doepfer.de/A1809.htm>

> 5. can't be stacked

If you can afford the 2 k€ for the chopper-sender and the
chopper-receiver you can also afford the chopper-multiple don't you
think? I think you are in theory theory land there. Why not just do it
digitally (or digitally controlled) if you want full flexibility?

>> I can already picture people mailing you and telling you how with
>> _their_ cable it didn't work. If you don't gain anything from using a
>> audio cable, why would you?
>
> Yeah, I can see that being the case.

For me the thought of avoiding stress for other people alone would be
enough to avoid solutions that are on the edge of "could potentially
work". I want people (including myself) to enjoy the circuits I create.

This is certainly stuff that can go horribly wrong. This means you have
to build and extensively test it. It might take you years to find the
perfect solution and you have to keep an open mind to find a good
solution, which is why you shouldn't rule out things that don't feel
right. If you want to avoid shielded multicore cables you have to be
aware what that means and you have to test it, because in the end
physics always wins if you don't : )

Cheers,
atoav