[sdiy] Cheetah MS800 replacing NiCd Varta Mempac

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 18:24:41 CEST 2021

Hi Brian,

The new one is a 55615603940 3/V150H 150mA 3.6V NiMH varta Mempac.  The
manufacturer's datasheet says very little about charging other than
"Excellent overcharge capability due to patented GCE-Electrode" and
including some charging curves for charging currents of 0.03*C, 0.1*C and
0.3*C over a period of a few hours.  There's also a statement that says
"Also permanent charging exceeding the limits of specified temperature
ranges may reduce the battery life. The maximum life is achieved, when
charging at an average temperature of +20 to +30˚C."  I can't see that 1mA
of trickle charge at 3.6V (only 3.6 milliwatts!) is going to significantly
raise the temperature of the battery which is a substantial chunk of metal.
So that is down to the ambient temperature inside the enclosure and
ultimately the climate of the country where it's being used!

-Richie,