[sdiy] How to use an analog time-domain multiplexer?

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Fri Jun 4 15:51:24 CEST 2021

Well from that list

Use a single LFO, noise generator and waveform processor to drive all channels.
Same for all the trigger and slew stuff.
Delete the ring modulator.  They do just create noise in polyphonics.
Not sure that S/Hs have much place in a polysynth either.  I've never simulated one in any digital synth.
Audio divider not needed.

So really what's left is a pretty standard Moog layout which doesn't really need much patching - you can hardwire much of the Keyboard -> VCOs -> VCAs -> VCFs -> Output mixer permanently and save hundreds of connections.

I think you need to think about what a polysynth is for.   It's really an extremely glorified piano/organ/other keyboard instrument capable of making any sound as individually playable chords.  Thus those sounds have to have a reasonable fundamental frequency content.

Conversely a monosynth has many other uses, right down to that guy on ModWiggler with the Batman avatar saying "it's a modular, you just make fart noises with it"