[sdiy] How to use an analog time-domain multiplexer?

Benjamin Tremblay btremblay at me.com
Thu Jun 3 15:13:43 CEST 2021

I know the old copper telephone system used multiplexers like this for phone-grade audio. Bell Labs established the idea that you must have sample rate 2x the highest frequency to prevent hard distortion, and that applies to analog delay lines, too. So if you run the multiplexer so each channel gets 22kHz of air time, you will get distortion after 11KHz.
Lesson learned: as long as you constrain your solution to a spec, you’re going to hit the target, and if not, roll back your spec.
The phone system had the advantage of only having to support the original telephone spec. So quiet, you can hear a pin drop, through a carbon microphone.

Personally I think you can get full audio spectrum, with some artifacts. The higher the clock frequency, the easier to hide the artifacts.

But, let’s consider the possibility of using ADC/DAC and serial ports. Seems like a USB “sound card” (as the Asians call them) podcast mixer is competition for passing multiplexed audio over a single cable.