[sdiy] Chopper circuits for audio and CV?

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Wed Jun 2 11:27:21 CEST 2021

That was covered on this list inside out. There were ideas for using
band shifting aka AM, and also pulse displacement technique known from
RC toys, and I'm nearly sure TDM was also discussed few times. Everytime
the outcome was: it's easier to do in digital and results of doing it in
analog are far from satisfactory, not to mention insane complexity of
the circuit.

Of all methods discussed so far TDM seems like most natural and easiest
to do. Done in every polysynth known to mankind in terms of CV, but for
audio - that could get tricky. You'd need sample&hold circuits able to
track and settle in less than 1us and still expect a lot of noise and
possibly distortion. And that's for mere 48ksps of audio channel.
No need for separate clock cable, you can regenerate clock from TDM
signal. Might even add some pattern to it to mark synchronization of 16
channels.

Why not use something like ADAT instead?

Roman