[sdiy] Happenin' new opamp

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Wed Jun 2 11:03:37 CEST 2021

I actually think this would have happened even without the automotive bounce-back, which I've never understood anyway.  If more people are working from home, why buy a new car ?    The jobs that need to be done from an office are often lower paid and those people tend to buy second-hand.

But there's been a huge demand for tablets, PCs and laptops, which suck out supply from all nodes from leading edge for the graphics, processor and memory, down to very old nodes for the audio and power supply.   People are also upgrading the printers, monitors (which use huge numbers of power transistors) and routers that they've had for years.  And if you use it every day you suddenly realise your microwave or toaster really is crap and needs replacing :-)

What annoys me is I get press releases from TI and ST daily highlighting new devices.  Todays from TI was for a new high performance op-amp and new analogue switch obviously aimed at new designs and both look good, but what chance have these of being available in volume in 12-18 months when those designs move to production ?