[sdiy] Cheetah MS800 replacing NiCd Varta Mempac

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:35:14 CEST 2021

Hi Richie,

> I've read about this suggestion of fitting a CR2032 battery instead, and I
> know that some of the synths that came a bit later like Casio and Korg used
> these batteries instead for memory backup duty.  The thing that concerns me
> about this is that it is quite a departure from how the original Cheetah was
> designed to work.

One solution I've used in the past where you really need to replace
like-for-like battery chemistry is to mount the replacement battery
off the PCB via a pair of wires, and cable-tie the new battery pack
somewhere in the case away from the PCB.  So if/when it decides to
leak it should hopefully cause a lot less damage.

Neil