[sdiy] How to use an analog time-domain multiplexer?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:36:33 CEST 2021

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 3:15 PM Mike Bryant <mbryant at futurehorizons.com> wrote:

> That's true, but that's a monosynth.  If you tried replicating a very complex mono-patch sixteen times all you would have is a wall of noise.    Some things like amplitude and frequency modulation can be left on a single basis.  Envelopes are worth keeping separate though, but you need some way of doing a master edit, followed by deviations for the other harmonics/overtones.  But again you are getting into digital again as this really becomes a processor job.

I don't think it's that complex. I was talking about the Doepfer A-100
Basic System 1.

link: http://www.doepfer.de/a100s_e.htm

It has the following modules:

2x Standard VCO A-110
2x ADSR A-140
2 x LFO A-145
1x Ring Modulator A-114
1 x Audio Divider A-115
1 x VC Waveform Processor A-116
1 x Noise/Random A-118
1 x VCF1 A-120 (24dB low pass 1)
1 x XP VCF A-106-6
1 x linear VCA A-130
1 x exponential VCA A-131
1 x linear Mixer A-138a
1 x exponential Mixer A-138b
1 x Dual S&H A-148
1 x Dual VC Switch A-150
1 x Trigger Divider A-160
1 x Trigger Sequencer A-161
1 x Dual Trigger Delay A-162
1 x Dual Slew Limiter A-170
1 x Multiple I A-180

So: two VCOs, two filters, a ring modulator, a shaper, the usual other
processing stages, and some utility modules. That doesn't seem very
"wall of noise" to me! It's somewhat less capable than something like
a Moog One.