[sdiy] Cheetah MS800 replacing NiCd Varta Mempac

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 16:29:59 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I'm currently servicing a Cheetah MS800 digital wavetable synth and want to
change the old NiCd Varta Mempac to a brand new NiMH Varta Mempac before
putting it up for sale.

The old blue NiCd battery hasn't started to leak yet, and is still holding
it's charge but I know that old NiCd Mempacs are regarded as a ticking
time-bomb in equipment of this age (>.<)  I wouldn't feel comfortable
selling it without addressing this issue first.

The existing 100mA 3.6V NiCd trickle charges from the 5V supply rail through
a 1k resistor when the unit is powered up.  Should I be looking at changing
this trickle charge current when changing the battery type to the 150mA 3.6V
NiMH replacement?

I did a search online and found very little solid information about this.
Everything from "The NiMH Mempacs are a drop in replacement" to "you need to
decrease the trickle charge current because NiMH is less tolerant of being
overcharged"  The trickle charge current already seems low to me.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts!

-Richie,

https://www.avg.com