[sdiy] And now for something completely different

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Fri Jul 30 17:59:37 CEST 2021

> On 30 Jul 2021, at 00:55, Adam Inglis (synthDIY) <synthdiy at adambaby.com> wrote:
>
>> On 30 Jul 2021, at 6:10 am, Ben Stuyts <ben at stuyts.nl <mailto:ben at stuyts.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for reviving a dead parrot:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rktk6rpj-vA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rktk6rpj-vA>
> Incredibly clever stuff: if you think about not just memorising the gobbledygook, but meshing it with enough proper grammar for effect, and then pacing it, adding emphasis and facial expressions… I doubt it was ‘improvised’!!

Indeed! Mr. Cleese had this to say about it on his Facebook page (where I found that clip):

“I actually memorized all of this joke. One of my appearances on Joker's Wild. This is from 1971. I delivered a mother-in-law joke but with a difference. Its how a nuclear scientist explains the danger of eating radioactive cabbages to a mother-in-law. In plain, simple English."

Ben